We recently published an article on how schools can migrate almost entirely to the cloud, many of our readers pointed out that several of the applications we showcased were available for free, through open source licensing, which got as thinking…. lets write on article on a hypothetical school which is entirely open source! After hours of brainstorming this is what we came up with, Is it possible? Absolutely. Is it practical? You decide.
For the District:
- pf Sense: Firewall and Router
- Open DNS: DNS and Web Filtering
- Malware Bytes: Anti-Virus Software
- Libre Office: Word Processing, Presentations, and Office Suite.
For the Classroom
- Canvas LMS: Self hosted Learning Management System for classes.
- OpenBoard: Software for interactive boards.
- Opencast: Creating podcasts and webcasts.
- Calibre: Creating, reading, and self-publishing e-books.
- Koha Library: Management and catalog system for the media center / library.
For Your IT Staff